- This event has passed.
RCAP Implementation Workshop: Building Codes for Climate Resilience
March 14 @ 9:30 am - 3:30 pm$10
The Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact, in partnership with the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance, hosted a Regional Climate Action Plan Implementation Workshop on Building Codes for Climate Resilience on March 14, 2019 in North Miami.
The workshop focused on how local governments can play a role in building code development and how to advance local resiliency and energy efficiency goals through increased code compliance, local incentives, and other tools. The workshop also examined strategies and resources to increase efficiency and resilience in existing buildings not required to meet the current code requirements.
Workshop participants left this workshop with:
- Awareness of how national model building codes are developed and the role local governments can play
- Knowledge of code compliance best practices, challenges, and opportunities for local building departments
- Research, technical assistance, and education resources available to local governments
- A greater understanding of opportunities within local jurisdictions to set localized provisions that can advance energy efficiency and resilience goals
This workshop continued the Compact’s series of workshops designed to advance the implementation of the Regional Climate Action Plan. It focused specifically on the following recommendations:
- Review the Florida Building Code through the lens of climate vulnerability.
- Incorporate strategies to reduce risk and economic losses associated with sea level rise and flooding into local comprehensive plans, post-disaster redevelopment plans, building codes, and land development regulations.
- Advance energy efficiency and conservation through technological solutions, behavioral strategies, and policies in order to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
The Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact is partnering with the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance, a non-profit organization who works with communities across the Southeast U.S. to develop knowledge, resources, and opportunities to optimize energy use, to develop and host this workshop. Speakers and presenters will include both national and Florida-based technical experts on building codes.